Asia-Pacific Biohack Competition
biotechin.asia and Croeni Foundation announce the launch of the 1st “BIOIDEATE Asia-Pacific Biohack Competition”. This award entitles biohackers with cash awards and enables them to create open source innovations for health; DIY Biotech for millions in low income and developing countries.
This competition is exclusively by and for Asia-Pacific. It is specifically for residents of the Asia-Pacific countries and meant for innovations that seek to address Asia-Pacific’s unique problems.
Do you have a simple, cost-effective idea that could diagnose/cure/prevent diseases and can benefit many lives? This is your chance!
Win Grand Prizes worth S$5000!
Grand Prize : SG$ 2,500
1st Runner Up: SG$ 1,500
2nd Runner Up: SG$ 1,000
Problems like what? A few examples…
- The potential to analyse genes and bacteria at home, identify threats and opportunities to one’s health.
- Possibly produce drugs that hold the promise of revolutionizing personalized healthcare for greater self-autonomy with increased life expectancy.
- Analysis of biomarkers for actionable home-based therapy:
- Home-based biomarker analysis: could save lives, and motivate,
- prevention via a) commercial drugs or b) homemade ones
Who can apply?
– Biohackers, tinkerers, DIY enthusiasts and anyone passionate about biotechnology and creating an impact using biotechnology.
– SHOULD be residing in an Asia-Pacific country at the time of application
- Atleast one team member should be a resident of Asia-Pacific region.
- The team can be of 1-4 members
- Should be a member of biotechin.asia community. Visit biotechin.asia to join or click here.
– Diagnosis or Prevention or Cure of major killers worldwide, such as heart attack, stroke, diabetes, infectious diseases,
whereby the winning solution is:
– Available open source
– Replicable at home in a third world country within Bio DIY settings with real patients.
– Based on sound science and economics
– Successful in diagnosis, prevention or cure
– Can be used by and benefit more than 1 million people. The more people you target, higher are your chances of winning!
When? The timeline
- Bio-ideate Asia-Pacific Biohack competition entries open for submission: 3rd Feb 2016
- Last day to submit ideas (in the form of a poster/infographic) – 15th April 2016
- Online voting begins – 1 to 15 April 2016
- Finalists submit project proposal (written) and final video (upto 8 minutes) with biohack – 15th May 2016
- Grant commitee decides winner and announcement of final winner – 20th May 2016
Terms and conditions:
- All submissions should only be in English.
- Personal data collected at the time of application and during the duration of the competition will be protected and not shared with any third party.
- Prizes ranked highest based on Cure > Prevention > Diagnosis.
- Final decision is up to grant maker, preferably after consulting with biohackers and medical communities.
- Prize money (in SGD) will be disbursed within 4 weeks of announcement of the winners.
- The award money may be used in any way the biohacker(s) deems useful to further foster the ecosystem and find solutions.
- The winners will be given an opportunity to pitch their ideas to mentors.
- Should be a part of the community as an email subscriber of biotechin.asia.
- Email us at email@example.com for any queries.
Croeni Foundation (www.croeni.org/)
The Croeni Foundation was set up in 2015 to tackle some of major challenges of this millennium: GIVING, ENVIRONMENT, HEALTH. Their VISION is to enable people, animals and charities to live happier, healthier and longer.
biotechin.asia (Publishing/Award organizing partner)
biotechin.asia (www.biotechin.asia)is a virtual newsroom focussed on delivering simplified, curated, fact-based news for all stakeholders in the biotech and healthcare ecosystem. It aims to nurture and bring together academicians, industry, biotech and healthcare startups onto a common platform.
For any queries, email us: firstname.lastname@example.org